Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To All The Moms Who Wipe Their Baby's Boogery Nose Without Hesitation

Ok, I’ll admit it. Mother’s Day freaked me out. A LOT. And I’m not even going to share what I wrote in my journal that day because I’ve cooled off since then and I don’t want to come off sounding like a selfish jerkwad having a pity-party. That and a whole lot of other reasons, but that one was at the top of the list. ;)

But what I will say is this:

My time for being a mother will come. Just not right now.

And just because I’ve given birth to a baby doesn’t mean I should automatically include myself in the “mother club.” I haven’t been there to change the poopy diapers ‘round the clock. I didn’t struggle with a weepy child in the middle of the night because he had an upset tummy or gas. I won’t be there to comfort him when he’s sad or scared, and I won’t be there to discipline him when he’s being naughty.

For all the mothers out there who’ve had to put up with all the crap that goes with being a parent, I just want to say that I appreciate you. And you deserve all the wonderful things that come in exchange for all the yucky stuff you have to deal with. You deserve the spontaneous hugs and the drooly smiles. You deserve the giggles of delight and belly-aching laughter. You deserve the “I love you mommy’s” and the absolute trust that child gives you. You deserve the sleeping baby in your arms that you've devoted your lives to.

And he deserves you, too.

Yes, my time will come. But not right now.

4 comments:

  1. Your time will come. And you will be wonderful. Until then, enjoy knowing that when a kid's nose is snotty, you don't have to wipe it. Snot is sooo gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's definitely one thing I'm happy to stay away from. I changed a poopy diaper today and I was thinking, "boy am I glad I don't have to do this ALL the time!" And then I felt bad for my friend who DID have to deal with it all the time. But when she came home and her baby boy was shaking with delight at the sight of his mommy, I understood WHY she did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNOT IS JUST FINE, THANKS. :) Carrie, I love you. You're an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I thought of you when I wrote the word "snotty." :) Love you too, kiddo. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete